Isla Bonita launched a powerful late rally and won the $2 million Satsuki Sho (Jpn-I, Japanese Two Thousand Guineas) April 20 Nakayama Racecourse.
Favored My Typhoon overcame a sluggish start to open up a two-length lead in the stretch but was all out to hold off the furious charge of Isla Cozzene by a nose to win the $166,950 Mrs. Revere (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the Churchill Downs turf Saturday.
Live Oak Plantation's My Typhoon, purchased as a weanling for $2.9 million, heads a competitive field of nine in Saturday's $150,000-added Mrs. Revere (gr. IIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Churchill Downs.
Royal Copenhagen, a French-bred filly owned by Arlington Park chairman Richard L. Duchossois, rallied from far back to overtake prohibitive favorite Singhalese inside the sixteenth pole to win the $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a half-length Saturday at the suburban Chicago racecourse.
Singhalese, winner of the grade I Del Mar Oaks in Southern California last month, has been installed as the 6-5 morning-line favorite in Saturday's $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-old fillies on the turf at Arlington Park.
Shining Energy, the upset winner of the grade II San Clemente Stakes on July 30, heads a field of 3-year-old fillies in Saturday's 49th edition of the grade I, $300,000 Del Mar Oaks at 1 1/8 miles on the Jimmy Durante turf course.
Unbeaten Melhor Ainda takes the favorite's role for trainer Bobby Frankel into Sunday's $750,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) for 3-year-old fillies at Hollywood Park.
Fourteen 3-year-old fillies from around the world were extended invitations Sunday for the $750,000 American Oaks (gr. IT) on July 3.
Thirteen 3-year-old fillies are set to square off in Sunday's $175,000 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park with no apparent standout among the aspiring cast.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- Farhaan Makes the Grade in Thunder Road
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls