Ishiguru, whose son Ferneley won the Aug. 29 Del Mar Mile Handicap (gr. IIT), was euthanized Sept. 17 following complications arising from a knee injury.
Ishiguru, an 11-year-old son of Danzig who was shuttling between England and New Zealand, was euthanized Sept. 18 following complications from a knee injury suffered earlier this year.
After a couple of close tries earlier this year, trainer Ben Cecil warned that Ferneley would win a big race before all was said and done. That day came Aug. 29 when the Irish-bred 5-year-old swept past his tiring rivals to score a 1 1/2-length win in the $238,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT).
Ishiguru, who trainer Aidan O'Brien regarded as one of his brightest sprinting hopes for this season, has been retired and sold to take up stallion duties at Tweenhills Farm & Stud in
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah 'Just Cruising' in Workout
- White Filly Beautiful Devil Carries Tradition
- Optimism High for Fasig-Tipton July Yearlings
- Espinoza Tied in World's Best Jock Standings
- Horse Greeley Sold to Stand in Argentina
- Speedy Grade III Winner Chitu Retired
- Two 'Super Saturdays' for Belmont Fall Meet
- Kentucky Horsewoman Graves Dies at 61
- Keeneland Alters September Sale Format
- New York Coupled Entry Rules Modified