Ishiguru, whose son Ferneley won the Aug. 29 Del Mar Mile Handicap (gr. IIT), was euthanized Sept. 17 following complications arising from a knee injury.
Ishiguru, an 11-year-old son of Danzig who was shuttling between England and New Zealand, was euthanized Sept. 18 following complications from a knee injury suffered earlier this year.
After a couple of close tries earlier this year, trainer Ben Cecil warned that Ferneley would win a big race before all was said and done. That day came Aug. 29 when the Irish-bred 5-year-old swept past his tiring rivals to score a 1 1/2-length win in the $238,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT).
Ishiguru, who trainer Aidan O'Brien regarded as one of his brightest sprinting hopes for this season, has been retired and sold to take up stallion duties at Tweenhills Farm & Stud in
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff