M One Rifle, a 7-1 shot, went all the way on the front end to post an easy win in the $300,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) over favored Misremembered for veteran trainer Bruce Headley Dec. 26 at Santa Anita.
Discussions are underway to send champion Kona Gold to the Kentucky Horse Park's Hall of Champions. The 9-year-old gelding was retired following a fifth-place finish in the July 26 Bing Crosby Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. II) at Del Mar.
Trainer Bruce Headley said Sunday that he is considering retiring his 9-year-old warrior Kona Gold, winner of the 2000 Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) and the Eclipse Award as America's finest sprinter that year.
Champion sprinter Kona Gold celebrated turning 9 Wednesday by winning the $100,000 El Conejo Handicap (gr. III) by a neck over Radiata at Santa Anita Wednesday.
Without a race since July 6 and the date of Oak Tree's Ancient Title Breeders' Cup Handicap considered a disadvantage by trainer Bruce Headley, the die has been cast for Kona Gold. He'll try to get to the Breeders' Cup Sprint Oct. 26 off workouts.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Conquest Two Step One to Beat in San Carlos
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- El Kabeir the Colt to Beat in Gotham