Sarafan, America's only hope to break a 10-year drought in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), drew the number eight post position in a field of 16 international runners set to go postward Sunday in the world's richest turf race, moved to Nakayama racecourse and dropped from 12 to 11 furlongs in distance because of construction of a new grandstand at Tokyo racecourse.
Irresistible Jewel is no longer being considered for Saturday's Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT), her trainer saying the Japan Cup is now the most likely spot for the Moyglare Stud's two-time Group III winner.
Irish champion jockey Pat Smullen waited as long as he could, then unleashed Irresistible Jewel for a late run to get up and take the Ribblesdale Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- BH 100: Commemorates
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm