Sarafan, America's only hope to break a 10-year drought in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), drew the number eight post position in a field of 16 international runners set to go postward Sunday in the world's richest turf race, moved to Nakayama racecourse and dropped from 12 to 11 furlongs in distance because of construction of a new grandstand at Tokyo racecourse.
Irresistible Jewel is no longer being considered for Saturday's Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT), her trainer saying the Japan Cup is now the most likely spot for the Moyglare Stud's two-time Group III winner.
Irish champion jockey Pat Smullen waited as long as he could, then unleashed Irresistible Jewel for a late run to get up and take the Ribblesdale Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- La Cressonniere to Miss Arc After Setback
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation
- Miyadi Arrested After Altercation With Solis