Sarafan, America's only hope to break a 10-year drought in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), drew the number eight post position in a field of 16 international runners set to go postward Sunday in the world's richest turf race, moved to Nakayama racecourse and dropped from 12 to 11 furlongs in distance because of construction of a new grandstand at Tokyo racecourse.
Irresistible Jewel is no longer being considered for Saturday's Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT), her trainer saying the Japan Cup is now the most likely spot for the Moyglare Stud's two-time Group III winner.
Irish champion jockey Pat Smullen waited as long as he could, then unleashed Irresistible Jewel for a late run to get up and take the Ribblesdale Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Los Alamitos Enjoys Opening-Day Handle Spike
- New Whip Rule's First Day No Problem in SoCal
- Main Sequence Class of Loaded United Nations
- Barbados Returns in Carry Back
- Java's War Seeks Elusive Win in Singspiel
- KY Horse Park Transitioning to Black Fences
- Race Day Heads Loaded Salvator Mile
- Fox Sports 1 to Broadcast United Nations S.
- Watsdachances Takes Aim at Dance Smartly