Sarafan, America's only hope to break a 10-year drought in the Japan Cup (Jpn-I), drew the number eight post position in a field of 16 international runners set to go postward Sunday in the world's richest turf race, moved to Nakayama racecourse and dropped from 12 to 11 furlongs in distance because of construction of a new grandstand at Tokyo racecourse.
Irresistible Jewel is no longer being considered for Saturday's Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Turf (gr. IT), her trainer saying the Japan Cup is now the most likely spot for the Moyglare Stud's two-time Group III winner.
Irish champion jockey Pat Smullen waited as long as he could, then unleashed Irresistible Jewel for a late run to get up and take the Ribblesdale Stakes (Eng-II) at Royal Ascot Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull Stakes
- Alert Bay Victorious in Cal Cup Turf Classic
- Mischief Clem, 'Kitty Post Upsets in Cal Cup
- Eblouissante Retired, to be Bred in Europe
- Birdatthewire Soars to Easy Forward Gal Win
- First Reported Foal by Justin Phillip a Colt
- Lochte Triumphs in Tampa Bay Thriller
- Sugar Shock Takes American Beauty in Comeback
- Barbados Makes the Grade in Hutcheson
- Consumer Credit Captures Sweetest Chant