The 83rd running of the Kentucky Derby, however, is itself, a subplot in a much larger story, one that was revealed in the research for this BH 100 moment.
Standing together in the annals of Derby history are the two jockeys who have won five editions of the Derby each: Eddie Arcaro and the legendary Bill Hartack.
With no suitable male heir, Swaps has faded from the breeding headlines, but his daughters left a more important legacy.
Eskendereya joins the likes of Gen. Duke, A.P. Indy, and I Want Revenge as early favorites for the Derby that didn't make the starting gate.
Bill Hartack, a Hall of Famer who rode five Kentucky Derby winners, was found dead Nov. 26 in a cabin near Freer, Texas.
Feb. 16, 1957
A Special Day at Hialeah
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Forever Unbridled Heads Cast for Beldame
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday