The 83rd running of the Kentucky Derby, however, is itself, a subplot in a much larger story, one that was revealed in the research for this BH 100 moment.
Standing together in the annals of Derby history are the two jockeys who have won five editions of the Derby each: Eddie Arcaro and the legendary Bill Hartack.
With no suitable male heir, Swaps has faded from the breeding headlines, but his daughters left a more important legacy.
Eskendereya joins the likes of Gen. Duke, A.P. Indy, and I Want Revenge as early favorites for the Derby that didn't make the starting gate.
Bill Hartack, a Hall of Famer who rode five Kentucky Derby winners, was found dead Nov. 26 in a cabin near Freer, Texas.
Feb. 16, 1957
A Special Day at Hialeah
Most Popular Stories
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Local Hero, Guest Suite Top Risen Star Selections
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Unique Bella Goes Easy in Five-Furlong Work