Bear Fan defeated Super High by one length to win the $110,300 Irish O'Brien Stakes, the St. Patrick's Day feature for California-bred older fillies and mares at Santa Anita on Wednesday.
Barry and Susan Isaacs' Irish O'Brien, a multiple stakes-winning mare and a favorite of California racing fans, died of an apparent heart attack Aug. 16 at the Mariposa Stables in Burbank. The California-bred daughter of D'Artagnan-Tenino Queen, by Saltville was 25 years old.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win