Bear Fan defeated Super High by one length to win the $110,300 Irish O'Brien Stakes, the St. Patrick's Day feature for California-bred older fillies and mares at Santa Anita on Wednesday.
Barry and Susan Isaacs' Irish O'Brien, a multiple stakes-winning mare and a favorite of California racing fans, died of an apparent heart attack Aug. 16 at the Mariposa Stables in Burbank. The California-bred daughter of D'Artagnan-Tenino Queen, by Saltville was 25 years old.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell