Trainer Ronald Cartwright saddled his last horse when the 75-year-old conditioner sent out Stone Prince to a ninth place finish in the fifth race Monday at Laurel Park.
Under jockey Ariel Smith, the 3-5 favorite Aggadan powered through an opening at the top of the lane and outstepped a determined Irish Colony to win the $100,000 Jennings Handicap for Maryland-breds Saturday at Pimlico.
Front-running Essence, ridden by a cool John Velazquez, dug in tenaciously to hold off Rare Gift by a neck in the $100,000 Anne Arundel (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Pimlico Saturday. In other $100,000 races on the DeFrancis undercard, the 2-year-old filly Hear Us Roar stayed unbeaten in the Selima Stakes and Irish Colony prevailed in the Charles H. Hadry.
Grade I winner Gygistar has been established as likely favorite against nine others in the $100,000 Charles H. Hadry Stakes, one of five stakes on the undercard at Pimlico Saturday where the featured race is the $300,000 Frank J. De Francis Memorail Dash (gr. I).
Presidentialaffair left little doubt as to which horse was best in the $190,000 Maryland Million Classic at Pimlico Race Course. Last year's runner-up in the 1 3/16-mile event galloped to a resounding 1 3/4-length victory as the 7-5 favorite.
The Lady's Groom battled odds-on favorite Unforgettable Max every step of the way to win the $150,000 Jim McKay Breeders' Cup Handicap, the co-feature Saturday at Pimlico.
New York invader Unforgettable Max heads a field of eight in Saturday's $150,000 Jim McKay Breeders' Cup Handicap for 3-year-olds and up at 1 1/8 mile at Pimlico.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death