Jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. was taken to North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, N.Y., and later released after being involved in a spill in the eighth race June 25 at Belmont Park.
Kid Cruz benefited from a sizzling early pace to rally from last to first to defeat favored Legend by 3 1/2 lengths in the $150,000 Easy Goer Stakes on the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) undercard June 7 at Belmont Park.
The battling New York-breds Samraat and Uncle Sigh both turned in solid works at Belmont Park April 18, and will have one more work there before shipping to Churchill Downs.
Cluster of Stars, an undefeated multiple grade II winner for Harvey Weinstein's Turtle Bird Stable, was voted the 2013 New York-bred horse of the year.
Stonestreet homebred Teen Pauline put on another front-running show at Aqueduct while rolling to her third straight win and first graded stakes victory in the $200,000 Top Flight Handicap (gr. II) March 1.
Competition for outstanding apprentice jockey came down to Irad Ortiz, Jr., who lost his bug on Feb. 2, and Jose Montano, who was an apprentice most of the year. In the end, voters cast their votes for the true apprentice.
Jockeys Rosie Napravnik and Irad Ortiz, Jr., were unseated during separate incidents in the seventh race at Belmont Park on June 7, with Ortiz being transported to a hospital complaining of neck and back pain.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Check Ligament Surgery Helps Racehorses with SDFT Injuries
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Study: EIPH Does Not Shorten Racing Careers
- Purses, Races Set for WV Classics Card
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- Shadwell Turf Mile to Offer $1 Million Purse