A field that could number as many as nine or 10 is beginning to take shape for the 62nd running of the grade II, $250,000 San Diego Handicap Sunday at 1 1/16 miles on Del Mar's main track.
Though it's still more than three weeks away, Del Mar's $1-million Pacific Classic (gr. I) on August 25 appears to be a viable prospect for Ren-Mar Thoroughbreds' Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) champion Sky Jack, trainer Doug O'Neill said Thursday morning.
Congaree, a 4-year-old son of Arazi owned by Stonerside Stable, will be trying to snap a three-year stranglehold by trainer Robert Frankel on the San Diego Handicap at Del Mar on Sunday. At the same time he could give his trainer, Bob Baffert, his first victory in the event.
If there was anyone who doubted Milwaukee Brew, they'd better think again. Proving his four-length romp in the Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I) in March wasn't a fluke but instead a sign, the brawny bay changed his tactics and still came up big on June 15, running down Bosque Redondo late to win the $500,000 Californian Stakes (gr. II) at nine furlongs.
Trainer Richard Mandella is planning to enter two Brazilian-bred horses in the 1 1/8-mile Californian Stakes (gr. II) at Hollywood Park June 15, Eddie Read Handicap (gr. IT) winner Redattore and recent optional claiming race winner Investor's Dream.
Most Popular Stories
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- 'Bea' Changes Tactics, Captures Sugar Maple
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- California Chrome Cruises at Los Alamitos
- Mr Speaker Takes Down Coolmore Lexington