Under an emphatic ride from Patrick Valenzuela, Herrick Racing LLC's Short Route wore down the heavy favorite Inspiring to win the $109,700-added Railbird (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies by a neck at Hollywood Park Sunday.
Bob & Beverly Lewis's Inspiring, unbeaten winner of last summer's Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) at Del Mar before a recent setback in Santa Anita's Santa Paula Stakes, is the likely favorite among eight 3-year-old fillies contesting Sunday's $100,000 Railbird Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Trainer Bob Baffert initially hoped to run No Bull Baby in the $100,000-added Railbird Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Hollywood Park Sunday. But after the stakes-winning filly suffered a career-ending ankle injury training at Santa Anita last week, Baffert will go to the bench.
Favored Supah Blitz won the $106,000 Tokyo City Handicap (gr. III) for older horses Saturday at Santa Anita Park, giving trainer Doug O'Neill his ninth stakes win of the meet and record 49th overall win.
With Sorrento (gr. III) winner Inspiring sidelined, nine 2-year-old fillies led by dual stakes winner Souvenir Gift will go postward Saturday for the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) at seven furlongs on the main track.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Inspiring successfully stepped into graded stakes company in her second start, winning the Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday while leading all the way with David Flores aboard.
Undefeated Souvenir Gift, who has two stakes victories among her three wins, heads a field of eight 2-year-old fillies in Saturday's $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) at 6 1/2 furlongs on Del Mar's main track.
Millionaires Golden Missile and Classic Cat as well as grade I winner Vicar were represented by their first winners the beginning of July.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Kentucky Derby Starters Reunite in Ohio Derby