Under an emphatic ride from Patrick Valenzuela, Herrick Racing LLC's Short Route wore down the heavy favorite Inspiring to win the $109,700-added Railbird (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies by a neck at Hollywood Park Sunday.
Bob & Beverly Lewis's Inspiring, unbeaten winner of last summer's Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) at Del Mar before a recent setback in Santa Anita's Santa Paula Stakes, is the likely favorite among eight 3-year-old fillies contesting Sunday's $100,000 Railbird Stakes (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
Trainer Bob Baffert initially hoped to run No Bull Baby in the $100,000-added Railbird Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Hollywood Park Sunday. But after the stakes-winning filly suffered a career-ending ankle injury training at Santa Anita last week, Baffert will go to the bench.
Favored Supah Blitz won the $106,000 Tokyo City Handicap (gr. III) for older horses Saturday at Santa Anita Park, giving trainer Doug O'Neill his ninth stakes win of the meet and record 49th overall win.
With Sorrento (gr. III) winner Inspiring sidelined, nine 2-year-old fillies led by dual stakes winner Souvenir Gift will go postward Saturday for the $250,000 Del Mar Debutante (gr. I) at seven furlongs on the main track.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Inspiring successfully stepped into graded stakes company in her second start, winning the Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies at Del Mar Saturday while leading all the way with David Flores aboard.
Undefeated Souvenir Gift, who has two stakes victories among her three wins, heads a field of eight 2-year-old fillies in Saturday's $150,000 Sorrento Stakes (gr. III) at 6 1/2 furlongs on Del Mar's main track.
Millionaires Golden Missile and Classic Cat as well as grade I winner Vicar were represented by their first winners the beginning of July.
Most Popular Stories
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Saez to Ride J Boys Echo in Kentucky Derby
- Look Back: Justakiss, Ole Liz Win Divisions of Bewitch
- Syndergaard to Make 2017 Debut in William Walker
- Stewart to Train, Manage Latest Churchill Racing Club
- Derby, Oaks Notes From Churchill Downs, April 26
- High-Profile Owners Team Up to Buy Expensive Colt
- Multiple Grade 1 Winner I'm a Chatterbox Retired
- Private Zone Retired to Old Friends
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017