State investigators wasted little time launching a full-scale probe of the New York Racing Association.
Following an attempt earlier this year by the Indiana legislature to reduce the amount of funds from slots at racetracks that are allotted to the horse racing industry, the Indiana inspector general made the same suggestion.
Empire Racing, the Saratoga-based finalist for New York state's racing franchise, unveiled a corporate integrity program Dec. 5 that includes creation of an independent inspector general and a board of directors integrity task force headed by two independent directors with no financial interests in the company.
- By Tom Precious
A Manhattan law firm with broad investigative experience has been named by a federal judge to oversee the finances and operations of the New York Racing Association to ensure it is in compliance with an oversight process ordered last year by the U.S. Attorney's office.
Most Popular Stories
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- Under Agreement, Trainer Umarov Suspended Five Years
- One Liner Laughs Last in Southwest Stakes Victory
- Gun Runner Rolls to Razorback Handicap Victory
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - February 21, 2017
- Classic Empire, McCraken Individual Favorites in Pool 3
- Guest Suite Fires Bullet in Preparation for Risen Star
- What's Going On Here: Truly Charismatic