The West Virginia Racing Commission voted July 28 to hire a new equine drug-testing laboratory when the contract with its current lab ends at the end of August.
The Indiana Horse Racing Commission believes Truesdail Laboratories missed seven positives, including a Class I drug, in just 26 days of handling drug tests for the state.
The Indiana Horse Racing Commission has terminated its contract with Truesdail Laboratory after the regulator says the Tustin, Calif., facility failed to report positive findings in three samples
Delays at the respected Lexington drug-testing laboratory LGC have forced two of its biggest customers, the Indiana Horse Racing Commission and Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, to consider other options.
A backlog at its primary laboratory has led the Indiana Horse Racing Commission to contract with second lab on an emergency basis.
The Horseracing Testing Laboratory Committee of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium has approved full accreditation of three laboratories, it announced April 30.
The National HBPA and its affiliates said they have "zero tolerance" for trainers who use illegal Class 1 and Class 2 substances in racehorses in the wake of about 30 positives for Dermorphin in the Southwest.
A human drug used to treat high blood pressure, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and addictive behavior has been detected in at least 10 post-race samples of horses racing in Nebraska recently, and sources say the number of positive tests could double in the coming weeks. Seven trainers have been notified by the Nebraska Racing Commission that their horses tested positive for Clonidine, which drug testing experts say can have both a calming and analgesic effect on horses and is closely related to Romifidine and Guanabenz, two drugs suspected by racing officials as being used illegally on horses.
Most Popular Stories
- Better Talk Now Euthanized at Age 18
- Archarcharch, Tizway to South Korea
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Mott Set for Queen's Plate Debut With Channel Maker
- Obituary: Jack Arterburn Spent Life in Racing
- Fasig-Tipton Horses of Racing Age Sale Offers Diversity
- Supreme Court to Consider N.J. Sports Gambling Case
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- Hong Kong Announces Awards Finalists
- Three Trustees Named to National Museum Board