Jack Disney, longtime sportswriter for the defunct Los Angeles Herald Examiner and publicist at two major Southern California racetracks, will be honored Jan. 27 at Santa Anita Park.
On the Acorn, a rags-to-riches gelding who rose from the claiming ranks to win the 2007 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT), was retired after suffering a ligament tear while preparing for a return to the races in the San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) on March 21.
Indizguys Stable's On the Acorn hadn't won a race since last year's running of the $250,000 Jim Murrary Memorial Handicap, but he defended that score with dignity and took the May 10 event at Hollywood Park for the second time in a row.
On the Acorn came right back Saturday with a well-timed finish to capture the $250,000 Jim Murray Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT).
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Scheduled for Belmont Stakes Run
- American Pharoah Back on Track at Churchill
- American Pharoah to Stand at Ashford Stud
- Zayat Calls Gambling Debt Lawsuit Extortion
- Zayat Sells Stud Rights to American Pharoah
- Ashleyluvssugar Takes Aim at Whittingham
- CHRB Discusses Los Al at Monthly Meeting
- Beholder Working Again After Illness
- Louisville 'Cap Draws Nine, 'Harbor' on Fence
- It's High Time First Winner for Gone Astray