Jack Disney, longtime sportswriter for the defunct Los Angeles Herald Examiner and publicist at two major Southern California racetracks, will be honored Jan. 27 at Santa Anita Park.
On the Acorn, a rags-to-riches gelding who rose from the claiming ranks to win the 2007 San Juan Capistrano Handicap (gr. IIT), was retired after suffering a ligament tear while preparing for a return to the races in the San Luis Rey Handicap (gr. IIT) on March 21.
Indizguys Stable's On the Acorn hadn't won a race since last year's running of the $250,000 Jim Murrary Memorial Handicap, but he defended that score with dignity and took the May 10 event at Hollywood Park for the second time in a row.
On the heels of his sharp victory in the San Juan Capistrano Invitational Handicap (gr. IIT) less than three weeks ago, the ex-claimer On the Acorn came right back Saturday with a well-timed finish to capture the $250,000 Jim Murray Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Hollywood Park turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- CHRB Issues Advisory for Cobalt Monitoring
- Godolphin Pair Face Off in Maktoum Challenge
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Expanded State-Bred Incentives at Arlington
- First NH Winner for Southwestern Heat
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand