For artist Merritt Finnell, painting horses was never his thing. Horses were his twin brother Michael's territory, and like many twins Merritt was different from Michael.
Though the July 12 Smile Sprint Handicap (gr. II) at Calder Race Course will host an impressive cast of seasoned performers, Benny the Bull has clearly stated his case as the top contender in the group.
Maggi Moss's Indian Chant set his sights on a victory in the $125,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs and would not be denied, holding off a bid from the late-closing Noonmark to win the May 31 event by a nose.
Millionaire Kelly's Landing will make his first start in graded company since last October when he faces five older horses in the $125,000 Aristides Stakes (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
In his last two efforts, at Arlington and Turfway Park, 4-year-old colt Off Duty proved an affinity for synthetic surfaces. In the 155th running of the $250,000 Phoenix Stakes (gr. III), the son of Yes It's True used that footing to his benefit again, taking the six-furlong event by a half-length over Keeneland's Polytrack.
Teuflesberg is only three, but he does not lack experience, having started 20 times in his young career. He will try older horses for the first time Oct. 6.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Stradivari Recuperating After Surgery
- Belmont Winner Creator Returns in Jim Dandy
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- A.P. Indian Has Green Light in Vanderbilt
- Haveyougoneaway Delivers in Honorable Miss
- Lady Aurelia on Track for Prix Morny
- Legends: Lady's Secret, the Iron Lady