New York's largest horsemen's group is among the latest calling on the Paterson administration to halt a looming agreement with a Wisconsin Indian tribe to build a casino in the Catskill Mountains.
The federal government has given preliminary recognition to a Long Island Indian tribe, setting in motion development of a possible casino close to the New York Racing Association's two downstate tracks.
- By Tom Precious
Monticello Raceway in New York's Catskill mountains resort region would become the home of a $500-million, Las Vegas-style casino under a deal announced by Gov. George Pataki and the Cayuga Indian tribe.
The Muckleshoot Indian Tribe completed purchase of the158 acres on which Emerald Downs racetrack sits, according to the Seattle Daily Journal.
An appeals court ruling handed down Jan. 17 spells trouble for a 24-hour casino being operated by Alabama-Coushatta Tribe in Livingston, Texas.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial