The $200,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes (gr. II) didn't look like a top race with an automatic berth to the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) on the line Aug. 27 at Del Mar.
Chris Hartman brought a string to Del Mar this year, but one in that group stood out. The trainer calls Black Hawk Stables' Alsvid the "head dog" of his stable and he'll try to earn his first top-level score in the Bing Crosby (gr. I).
A more than eight month layoff didn't change much—Masochistic is still one fast animal.
California-bred Gimme Da Lute is the only 3-year-old in the field of the Oct. 3 Santa Anita Sprint Championship (gr. I).
Grade I winner Wild Dude got within a head of front-running Appealing Tale in the stretch during the $250,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes at Del Mar, but the pacesetter re-rallied on the rail to secure his first graded victory.
Coming off arguably the best performance of his career, Gary and Cecil Barber's Appealing Tale will dial back to seven furlongs in the $250,000 Pat O'Brien Stakes (gr. II) Aug. 22.
Secret Circle and Goldencents, a pair of indomitable Breeders' Cup winners from last year, clash in the $300,000 Santa Anita Sprint Championship (gr. I) Oct. 4 at Santa Anita Park.
Dual grade I winner Goldencents returns to Del Mar to face recent Triple Bend (gr. I) winner Declassify in the $300,000 Bing Crosby Stakes (gr. I) July 26, a race the Doug O'Neill trainee was second in last year.
Best Pal Stakes (gr. II) winner Alberts Hope heads a field of 11 juveniles in the $300,000 Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) on Sept. 4, closing day of the 2013 summer stand at the Southern California track.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- HRRN Set for Dubai, Gulfstream Coverage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement
- Suffolk Downs Files Paperwork for Racetrack Sale
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners