All but assured of a berth in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I), undefeated Samraat was on his way back to Florida on the afternoon of March 2, a day after his Gotham Stakes (gr. III) victory at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Undefeated Samraat edged Uncle Sigh March 1 at Aqueduct Racetrack to secure a $500,000 Gotham Stakes (gr. II) victory by a neck; pacesetter In Trouble hung tough another neck back for third.
Four weeks after a memorable stretch drive in which Samraat just held off Uncle Sigh in the Withers Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct Racetrack, those two rivals will hook up again in the Gotham Stakes (gr. II) March 1.
PORTER ON PEDIGREES, by Alan Porter
If the Man o' War line is to extend far into the current century, it will almost certainly rely on the success of Tiznow as a sire of sires.
There were five 2-year-olds entered in the $196,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 29 at Belmont Park, but it turned out to be a two-horse race as fast-developing In Trouble topped favored Corfu for a comfortable win.
Trainer Todd Pletcher swept last year's Matron and Futurity stakes for 2-year-olds last year at Belmont Park with Kauai Katie and Overanalyze, and is well positioned to try it again Sept. 29 in New York.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code