In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
The 2002 Illinois Horse of the Year and grade II stakes winner Mystery Giver is among 60 horses entered in the six stakes that make up the June 26 Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park. Each of the six stakes for Illinois-breds carries a purse of $75,000.
The richest dirt race in Illinois, the Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) headlines the fall Thoroughbred season at Hawthorne Race Course. Hawthorne opens its 71-day meeting on Sept. 28.
Arlington Park hosted the Prairie State Festival on June 22--five races restricted to horses bred in Illinois.
About $450,000 will be on the line June 20 in six Illinois-registered stakes that make up the third Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park. The afternoon is designed to showcase Illinois racing and the history of the state.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Refuses to Work March 27 at Palm Meadows
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Skychai Racing Purchases Interest in Fast and Accurate
- Two Juveniles Post Fastest Times at Barretts
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- McCraken Stretches Out in Keeneland Work
- Animo de Valeroso to Stand at Duncan Farms
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Honorable Duty Aims to Continue Fair Grounds Roll