In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
The 2002 Illinois Horse of the Year and grade II stakes winner Mystery Giver is among 60 horses entered in the six stakes that make up the June 26 Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park. Each of the six stakes for Illinois-breds carries a purse of $75,000.
The richest dirt race in Illinois, the Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) headlines the fall Thoroughbred season at Hawthorne Race Course. Hawthorne opens its 71-day meeting on Sept. 28.
Arlington Park hosted the Prairie State Festival on June 22--five races restricted to horses bred in Illinois.
About $450,000 will be on the line June 20 in six Illinois-registered stakes that make up the third Prairie State Festival at Arlington Park. The afternoon is designed to showcase Illinois racing and the history of the state.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Works, Set for San Antonio
- Hoppertunity Confirmed for San Antonio Start
- California Chrome Picks Up Cal-Bred Awards
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes