Rallying from last on the backstretch, favored Enterprising found room between horses in the drive and powered his way to victory in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) as racing returned to the turf at Del Mar.
Enterprising and Argyle Cut, separated by a neck when first and second, respectively, in the opening day Oceanside Stakes, battle again as turf racing returns to Del Mar Aug. 9 in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer lost his leading candidate for the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. I) Feb. 15 when his undefeated colt Exit Stage Left sustained a training injury. But he had a good back-up plan.
First-out maiden winners Top Fortitude and Midnight Hawk each take a giant step into graded company as part of a field of six 3-year-olds in the $100,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 11 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- 32 Horses Die in Chicago-Area Stable Fire
- Salute the Sarge to E.A. Ranches in Calif.
- Hollywood Derby Likely After Chrome's Workout
- Don't Tell Sophia Leads Falls City Handicap
- Easter Gift Takes Unusual Path Back to Clark
- Big Macher Shows Star Quality in Cary Grant
- Tom's Tribute Tops Talented Seabiscuit Cast
- Ocho Ocho Ocho Cashes Jackpot, Now 3-for-3
- Calgary Cat Sizzles in Kennedy Road Triumph
- Take Charge Brandi Takes Down Delta Princess