Rallying from last on the backstretch, favored Enterprising found room between horses in the drive and powered his way to victory in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT) as racing returned to the turf at Del Mar.
Enterprising and Argyle Cut, separated by a neck when first and second, respectively, in the opening day Oceanside Stakes, battle again as turf racing returns to Del Mar Aug. 9 in the $150,000 La Jolla Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer lost his leading candidate for the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. I) Feb. 15 when his undefeated colt Exit Stage Left sustained a training injury. But he had a good back-up plan.
First-out maiden winners Top Fortitude and Midnight Hawk each take a giant step into graded company as part of a field of six 3-year-olds in the $100,000 Sham Stakes (gr. III) Jan. 11 at Santa Anita Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Leagues Seek to Halt New Jersey Sports Bets
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- Researchers Examine Fatal Lumbar Vertebral Fractures
- F-T October Sale Gains Across Board at Opener
- Sweet Reason Set for BC Filly and Mare Sprint
- Rockingham Park Selling Most of Stable Area
- Claimer Seeking the Sherif Reaches BC Sprint
- Two-Time Champion Beholder Out of BC Distaff
- Jockeys' Guild, RTCA Set Up Saez Family Fund
- Bullet Move for Likely BC Juvenile Favorite