The current king and queen of Louisiana racing, Star Guitar and Superior Storm, are set to go for their record fourth crown each in the annual Louisiana Champions Day at Fair Grounds Dec. 11.
Star Guitar accelerated in deep stretch for a repeat victory in Evangeline Downs' signature race, the $100,000 Evangeline Mile, on the night of Aug. 14 at the Opelousas, La. racetrack and casino.
Star Guitar chalked up his sixth win in a row when he cruised to a 3 1/2-length win in the $200,000 Louisiana Premier Night Championship Stakes Feb. 6 at Delta Downs.
Lousiana-bred standout Star Guitar, on a five-race roll for Albert Stall Jr., has nine rivals in his way in the $200,000 Louisiana Premier Night Championship, the headline race on a million-dollar card at Delta Downs Feb. 6.
Brittlyn Stable's Star Guitar, the overwhelming 1-5 favorite, romped to a 7 3/4-length victory in the $150,000 Louisiana Champions Day Classic Dec. 19.
Carter Handicap (gr. I) victor Kodiak Kowboy heads the field for trainer Larry Jones in the $250,000 Churchill Downs Stakes (gr. II) on the main track May 2.
Favored Ide Like a Double rallied gamely to win the $200,000 Evangeline Mile by one length in an Evangeline Downs track-record time Aug. 16.
El Gato Malo, fifth as the favorite in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) last time out, takes on a dozen 3-year-old rivals in the $400,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) May 10 at the Grand Prairie, Texas, racetrack.
Sebastian County, a clear leader a furlong from home, held off Poni Colada by a head to win the $75,000 Northern Spur for 3-year-olds on the Arkansas Derby (gr. II) program at Oaklawn Park April 12.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Court Order Has Preciado Racing Again at Parx