Penn National Race Course and Beulah Park have canceled their Wednesday, Feb. 19 cards because of weather and track conditions.
Five months after horse industry officials lobbied for funds from the United States Department of Agriculture's Emergency Conservation Program to assist with property damage to dozens of Central Kentucky Thoroughbred farms due to a January ice storm, the USDA delivered some negative news.
Kentucky Thoroughbred farms seeking financial aid to cover their immense repair efforts for damages caused by an ice storm the week of Jan. 25 could soon receive some federal relief in the form of a loan.
While the icy wonderland that has blanketed the Bluegrass region left more than 600,000 Kentuckians without power the week of Jan. 25, Thoroughbred farm managers are doing all they can to keep their operations functional and safe in spite of property damage and lack of electricity.
During its current spring meet, Keeneland will offer free admission to three separate groups of people--UK staff on April 13; college students on April 18; and "ice storm workers" on April 19.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- The ice storm that socked Central Kentucky could not have come at a worse time for horse farms.
From Kentucky up through New York, the recent winter storm's ice and snow has caused major problems for horse owners and those in the horse business.
Like many businesses in Central Kentucky, breeding farms were severely impacted by the ice storm that struck the area Feb. 16.
Though many Central Kentucky farms were without power in the wake of major ice storm that hit the Lexington area Feb. 15-16, all three of the major veterinary clinics were up and running.
Most Popular Stories
- Travers Favorite Bayern Arrives at Saratoga
- King's Bishop: Coup de Grace vs. Wildcat Red
- Heated Rivalry Rekindled in Del Mar Handicap
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Australia Easy Juddmonte International Winner
- Better Lucky Sticks With Dirt for Ballerina
- Ready to Act, Daring Kathy Vie at Woodbine
- Starstruck Heads Cast in Monmouth's Violet
- FDA Sends Warning Letter to Compounding Firm