A Texas lawsuit seeking compensation for the death of a 2-year-old gelding in a van accident also broke new legal ground. After months of legal wrangling, Jim and Helen Widener of Irving, Texas, were awarded $65,000 as compensation for the death of their Texas-bred gelding I Stole the Wish in July 1998. The settlement, which included $10,000 for lost state breeders' awards, is believed to be the first time that a United States court officially recognized and placed a value on a state Thoroughbred breeding program.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution