A Texas lawsuit seeking compensation for the death of a 2-year-old gelding in a van accident also broke new legal ground. After months of legal wrangling, Jim and Helen Widener of Irving, Texas, were awarded $65,000 as compensation for the death of their Texas-bred gelding I Stole the Wish in July 1998. The settlement, which included $10,000 for lost state breeders' awards, is believed to be the first time that a United States court officially recognized and placed a value on a state Thoroughbred breeding program.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- BloodHorse, Weatherbys Launch Stallions App
- Welcome Home, Charismatic
- Rockridge's Posse Will Not Return to U.S.
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- U S Officer, Cool Arrow Set for Springboard
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Revolutionary Equine Waste Recycling System
- Trainer Davis Looks Forward to More Success
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31