The Louisiana Thoroughbred Breeders Association's annual yearling sale had not only its first six-figure horse Oct. 2, but a colt and filly that sold for $100,000 each. They helped the auction show increases in gross, average, and median.
One of the more important starts of the year for trainer D. Wayne Lukas racing stable will take place on the first Saturday in February at Aqueduct as Overbrook Farm's Quick Action faces his first test around two turns. The $75,000 Whirlaway for 3-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles will help determine whether or not the son of Carson City continues on the Triple Crown trail.
Maryland-based jockey Greg Hutton scored his 2,000th career win Sunday aboard Captain Chessie in the eighth race at Charles Town.
On a muddy track at Pimlico Saturday, Lightning Paces earned a wire-to-wire victory in the $140,000 Baltimore Ravens Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III), defeating 9-5 favorite Milwaukee Brew by 3/4 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis