A review of wagering on this year's World Championships indicated the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy cost Breeders' Cup roughly $9 million in pari-mutuel handle compared with 2011 figures, organization officials said.
The New York Racing Association will contribute to Hurricane Sandy disaster relief in New York with a $100,000 donation to the American Red Cross.
Breeders' Cup is prepared to take a hit in pari-mutuel handle given the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast even though many wagering outlets were back in operation Nov. 2.
Initial reports suggest tracks across the Northeast suffered some damage and power outages as a result of Hurricane Sandy, but that damage was moderate compared with the devastation in the area.
Aqueduct Racetrack will open for simulcasting at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 31, while Belmont Park's simulcast facilities will remain closed for the day due to ongoing power outages as a result of Hurricane Sandy.
It was quite an arduous journey, but the Bill Mott- and Chad Brown-trained horses, along with Point of Entry, finally arrived at Santa Anita at 9:15 Monday morning following an 11-hour trip. read blog
Live racing in the Northeast has been cancelled for at least two days due to Hurricane Sandy.
A flight carrying a contingent of Breeders' Cup horses from New York to California was rescheduled to 1 a.m. EDT Oct. 29 and was able to take off as Hurricane Sandy approached the Northeast, Breeders' Cup officials said.
Belmont Park and Aqueduct Racetrack will be closed for simulcasting Monday, Oct. 29, and Tuesday, Oct. 30 in anticipation of heavy rain and high winds as a result of Hurricane Sandy.
Breeders' Cup has a contingency plan in place for air transport of horses should an impending major storm in the Northeast cause problems, officials said Oct. 27.
Most Popular Stories
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup
- Casse Duo Set for Queen's Plate Run
- Neolithic Back Galloping After Respiratory Illness
- Untrapped Aims for First Stakes win in Ohio Derby
- Kitasan Black Faces 10 in Takarazuka Kinen
- Litfin at Large: Class Horses Figure in Ohio Derby
- Disco Rico and His Record-Setting Son Disco Partner
- The Stronach Group Considers New England Venture
- The Player to Return on Churchill's Closing Night