The $300,000 Personal Ensign Invitational Stakes (gr. I), scheduled for Aug. 28 but postponed when Saratoga canceled racing because of Hurricane Irene, will have the same field when it's run Sept. 3.
Suffolk Downs in East Boston, Mass., to resume live racing after being closed Aug. 29-30 due to the weekend's tropical depression.
- By Steve Haskin
Stay Thirsty renews passion for the sport. read blog
NYRA announces figures for Saratoga meeting are still strong despite the cancellation of racing Aug. 28 due to Hurricane Irene. On-track handle up 4.3%; attendance down marginally.
Monmouth Park dodged serious damage during the worst of Hurricane Irene, which hit New Jersey and caused evacuations, road closures, and flooding.
Although Tropical Storm Irene has left the area, several East Coast tracks are still impacted by the storm that began as a hurricane and was later downgraded before rolling through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
- By Vic Zast
Racing returns with Hurricane Irene in the distance read blog
Attendance and pari-mutuel handle were off slightly for the Aug. 27 Travers Stakes (gr. I) program at Saratoga as Hurricane Irene made its way up the East Coast.
The New York Racing Association said there will be no live racing at Saratoga Sunday, Aug. 28 because of the oncoming Hurricane Irene.
- By Vic Zast
Saratoga readies itself for Irene and the Travers. read blog
Several racetracks in the Mid-Atlantic region already have canceled racing and full-card simulcasts for Aug. 27-28 as Hurricane Irene heads up the East Coast from Florida and the Carolinas.
Most Popular Stories
- Two Share Fastest Furlong Time at F-T Show
- Champion Wise Dan Back at the Track
- Hall Finalists Include Leatherbury, Lava Man
- Wise Dan, Main Sequence Top Turf Classic Noms
- New Social Media Rule for Australian Racing
- The Great War No Longer Pursuing Derby
- Mountaineer Cancels; Parx Loses Most of Card
- Daredevil Back to Work After Swale Washout
- The Jockey Club 2015 Fact Book Now Online
- Indiana Derby Moves to Mid-July This Year