The $300,000 Personal Ensign Invitational Stakes (gr. I), scheduled for Aug. 28 but postponed when Saratoga canceled racing because of Hurricane Irene, will have the same field when it's run Sept. 3.
Suffolk Downs in East Boston, Mass., to resume live racing after being closed Aug. 29-30 due to the weekend's tropical depression.
- By Steve Haskin
Stay Thirsty renews passion for the sport. read blog
NYRA announces figures for Saratoga meeting are still strong despite the cancellation of racing Aug. 28 due to Hurricane Irene. On-track handle up 4.3%; attendance down marginally.
Monmouth Park dodged serious damage during the worst of Hurricane Irene, which hit New Jersey and caused evacuations, road closures, and flooding.
Although Tropical Storm Irene has left the area, several East Coast tracks are still impacted by the storm that began as a hurricane and was later downgraded before rolling through the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
- By Vic Zast
Racing returns with Hurricane Irene in the distance read blog
Attendance and pari-mutuel handle were off slightly for the Aug. 27 Travers Stakes (gr. I) program at Saratoga as Hurricane Irene made its way up the East Coast.
The New York Racing Association said there will be no live racing at Saratoga Sunday, Aug. 28 because of the oncoming Hurricane Irene.
- By Vic Zast
Saratoga readies itself for Irene and the Travers. read blog
Several racetracks in the Mid-Atlantic region already have canceled racing and full-card simulcasts for Aug. 27-28 as Hurricane Irene heads up the East Coast from Florida and the Carolinas.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Byron Hughes is Farm Manager of the Year
- Game Sole Power Finds Gap Late in Nunthorpe
- Pat O'Brien Deja Vu for Fed Biz, Goldencents
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- BHA Levies Heavy Penalties Against Three