Day 9 of the Keeneland November sale saw competitive trade for both the session's upper-market weanlings and mares, fueling across-the-board increases. The day's top price, for a Pioneerof the Nile colt, was $85,000.
Outsider Grand Arch, rallying through the long Woodbine stretch, caught favored Excaper in the final strides to register his first stakes win in the $187,759 King Edward (Can-IIT) June 22 on the turf.
Red Piano, a winning daughter of Red Ransom, fetched $150,000 from Jayne Johnson, agent, early in the Fasig-Tipton February winter mixed sale in Lexington Feb. 11.
Gross, average, and median during first session of January sale increase 30.4%, 16.6%, and 60%, respectively.
Spice Island, a grade II-winning daughter of Tabasco Cat, became the sale topper thus far at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale when she fetched $775,000 from Hunter Valley Farm, agent.
Negligee returned to the site of her former glory and made news again Jan. 10.
White Prince, a white yearling colt by Devil His Due, attracted a final bid of $60,000 to top the Jan. 16 session of Keeneland's January Horses of All Ages Sale, as gross numbers plummeted for the fifth consecutive day.
The Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling sale, a small boutique auction that offers quality horses, got off to what the company's chairman, D.G. Van Clief Jr., termed "a solid start " Aug. 4 in New York.
A strapping son of A.P. Indy, named Pyramid Indy, brought $1.2 million to kick off the opening session of the 2008 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Filly by The Factor Tops OBS Winter Opener
- Kentucky Approves Racing License for Blasi
- Kaigun Makes 2015 Debut in Arcadia Stakes
- Fillies Vie for Grade I Glory in Las Virgenes
- Invasor to Uruguay's Haras Cuatro Piedras
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- The Horse Who Changed the Triple Crown
- Knee Chip Sidelines Hutcheson Winner Barbados
- Secret Circle Part of Salty Palos Verdes Cast
- Ocean Knight, Catalina Red Top Sam F. Davis