It took Marietta five tries to break her maiden. Since then, the 3-year-old filly has figured out that the winner's circle agrees with her, as she has captured a pair of graded stakes in excellent form. In the $100,000 Arlington Oaks (gr. III) Aug. 18, Marietta won for the third time in her last four efforts.
Mini Sermon returns to Arlington Park Aug. 18 in search of her fifth straight victory for trainer Todd Pletcher as the 9-5 morning line favorite in the $100,000 Arlington Oaks (gr. III).
There may have been questions about Octave's winning desire after five consecutive runner-up efforts dating back to last year's Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I). But not after the quality filly made it back-to-back grade I victories Saturday in the $300,000 Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) for 3-year-old fillies at Belmont Park.
Octave shed her role as a bridesmaid when she won the Mother Goose (gr. I) at Belmont Park June 30 and will try to win successive grade I's when she competes Saturday in Belmont's feature race, the $300,000 Coaching Club American Oaks at 1 1/4 miles for 3-year-old fillies.
Darley's Marietta surged past odds-on choice High Again leaving the three-sixteenth pole en route to her first graded stakes win in a mild upset of the $200,000 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) at Prairie Meadows in Altoona Friday night.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm