The second season of horse racing in Maryland gets underway Aug. 22 with nine races at the Maryland State Fair at Timonium.
The Laurel Park's winter meeting ended March 29 with apprentice jockey Trevor McCarthy taking the jockey title and four conditioners sharing the trainer title.
Trevor McCarthy and Hugh McMahon wrapped up 2013 titles in the jockey and trainer divisions, respectively, at the major Maryland tracks after the Dec. 31 final card of the season at Laurel Park.
Fred High, making his third attempt in the rich West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes, upended previous winners Russell Road and Lucy's Bob Boy to post a mild upset at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Oct. 19.
Apprentice rider Sarah Rook returned a winner after an absence of three months as Pimlico Race Course opened its spring meet March 30.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Ricardo Beats Baze in Champions Challenge
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Brockton Fair Invites Suffolk Downs Horsemen
- Keeneland September continues steady progress
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- MGC Offers Help for Displaced Suffolk Workers
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released