Jockey Nik Juarez found himself in the winner's circle six times during Laurel Park's nine-race program Jan. 11, capping off the afternoon with a victory aboard Escrow Kid in the ninth race.
The second season of horse racing in Maryland gets underway Aug. 22 with nine races at the Maryland State Fair at Timonium.
The Laurel Park's winter meeting ended March 29 with apprentice jockey Trevor McCarthy taking the jockey title and four conditioners sharing the trainer title.
Trevor McCarthy and Hugh McMahon wrapped up 2013 titles in the jockey and trainer divisions, respectively, at the major Maryland tracks after the Dec. 31 final card of the season at Laurel Park.
Fred High, making his third attempt in the rich West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes, upended previous winners Russell Road and Lucy's Bob Boy to post a mild upset at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Oct. 19.
Apprentice rider Sarah Rook returned a winner after an absence of three months as Pimlico Race Course opened its spring meet March 30.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Neglect Case Under Investigation
- Major Expansion Planned for Aqueduct Casino
- Japan Races added to BC Challenge Series
- KY-Bred Ryans Charm Scores Repeat in Peru GI
- Mo Tom Clear Winner in Ohio Derby
- Melatonin Game in Gold Cup Victory
- Into Mischief Filly MHBA Yearling Show Champ
- Europeans Set for Belmont Derby, Oaks
- KY Track, Equipment Co. Offers Scholarship
- Melatonin Could Get Time Off After Gold Cup