William G. "Blackie" Huffman, a trainer whose son Ben Huffman serves as racing secretary at Churchill Downs and Keeneland, died Dec. 24 following a short illness.
- By Blood-Horse Staff
- News, Triple Crown, Northeast Region, Midwest Region, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, West Region
Early nominationsl, at $600 per horse, are being taken for this year's Triple Crown races, which start with the 134th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) on Saturday, May 3. The early nomination period closes on Saturday, Jan. 19.
Street Sense, 10-length winner of the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), received the high weight assignment of 127 pounds on the 2006 Experimental Free Handicap, released today by The Jockey Club.
Churchill Downs Inc. announced Thursday that Ben Huffman has been named director of racing and racing secretary for Fair Grounds Race Course in New Orleans, La.
Keeneland's fall meet kicks off Friday with its now familiar Fallstars Weekend and with three weeks to the World Thoroughbred Championships, Breeders' Cup implications certainly abound at the Lexington track. Fallstars Weekend features three action-packed days of racing with eight graded stakes and more than $3.4 million in stakes purses.
In a letter to horsemen at Fair Grounds Racecourse in New Orleans, La., track president and general manager Bryan Krantz has responded to comments by trainer Tom Amoss that were published in The Blood-Horse and New Orleans Times-Picayune. Here is the complete text of Krantz' letter.
Three-time stakes winner Northcote Road has been retired from racing after suffering a ligament injury.
Cat Thief turned in a solid five furlong work Thursday at Churchill Downs that had Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas wondering if his 4-year-old colt is gearing up for another big effort in the 2000 Classic on November 4 at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- American Pharoah Tops 162 Blue Grass Nominees
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- Consignors Upbeat Ahead of F-T Florida Sale
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- African Story Tries Super Saturday Challenge