Steve Swindal, the New York Yankees executive embroiled in divorce proceedings with the daughter of George Steinbrenner, has dropped out of Excelsior Racing Associates, one of four groups vying to win the New York Thoroughbred franchise whose proposals were made public April 5.
After meeting with its newly hired security consultant, the New York Racing Association on Wednesday said it has begun a review of its practices already under investigation by state and federal authorities.
New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer said he came away from a one-hour meeting with New York Racing Association Chairman Barry Schwartz convinced that NYRA will now be taking steps to improve the operations he sharply criticized last month following a three-year investigation.
Most Popular Stories
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Sky Kingdom Returns to 1 1/2 Miles in Cougar
- Tonalist Begins Push for Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- A Timeline for Synthetic Racing Surfaces
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- Haskin: No More 'What Ifs' With Wise Dan
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets