Steve Swindal, the New York Yankees executive embroiled in divorce proceedings with the daughter of George Steinbrenner, has dropped out of Excelsior Racing Associates, one of four groups vying to win the New York Thoroughbred franchise whose proposals were made public April 5.
After meeting with its newly hired security consultant, the New York Racing Association on Wednesday said it has begun a review of its practices already under investigation by state and federal authorities.
New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer said he came away from a one-hour meeting with New York Racing Association Chairman Barry Schwartz convinced that NYRA will now be taking steps to improve the operations he sharply criticized last month following a three-year investigation.
Most Popular Stories
- Delaware Park Cancels July 28 Racing Program
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Milestone Victory for Jockey Centeno
- Big Macher Collects Grade I Bing Crosby Win
- Tonalist, Kid Cruz Exit Jim Dandy Well
- Del Mar Shifting Turf Races After Breakdowns
- Antipathy Convincing Winner in Muddy Shuvee
- Valid Breaks Through With Monmouth Cup Win
- Wicked Strong Gets Redemption in Jim Dandy
- Starstruck Back to Winning Ways in Matchmaker