The Sept. 28 death of Howard Bender, who along with his late wife, Sondra, was among the leading breeders in Maryland, came as a shock to the couple's long-time trainer, Larry Murray.
Ghost Bay, owned and bred by Howard Bender, went from last to first to break his maiden and capture the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 27 at Laurel Park.
Sondra Bender, a prominent Maryland breeder/owner, died Feb. 23 after a battle with uterine cancer. A resident of Bethesda, Md., she was 78. Her survivors include her husband, Howard, who operates Glade Valley Farm.
Sondra Bender's Foufa's Warrior added another prize to his owner's burgeoning collection of Maryland Jockey Club trophies with a hard fought victory in the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship Tuesday at Laurel.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death