The Sept. 28 death of Howard Bender, who along with his late wife, Sondra, was among the leading breeders in Maryland, came as a shock to the couple's long-time trainer, Larry Murray.
Ghost Bay, owned and bred by Howard Bender, went from last to first to break his maiden and capture the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 27 at Laurel Park.
Sondra Bender, a prominent Maryland breeder/owner, died Feb. 23 after a battle with uterine cancer. A resident of Bethesda, Md., she was 78. Her survivors include her husband, Howard, who operates Glade Valley Farm.
Sondra Bender's Foufa's Warrior added another prize to his owner's burgeoning collection of Maryland Jockey Club trophies with a hard fought victory in the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship Tuesday at Laurel.
Most Popular Stories
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Paco Lopez Rides Winner No. 2,000
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- Bangkok Upsets Melmich in Valedictory
- 'Chance' First Black-Type Winner for Skipshot
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm