The Sept. 28 death of Howard Bender, who along with his late wife, Sondra, was among the leading breeders in Maryland, came as a shock to the couple's long-time trainer, Larry Murray.
Ghost Bay, owned and bred by Howard Bender, went from last to first to break his maiden and capture the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Futurity Dec. 27 at Laurel Park.
Sondra Bender, a prominent Maryland breeder/owner, died Feb. 23 after a battle with uterine cancer. A resident of Bethesda, Md., she was 78. Her survivors include her husband, Howard, who operates Glade Valley Farm.
Sondra Bender's Foufa's Warrior added another prize to his owner's burgeoning collection of Maryland Jockey Club trophies with a hard fought victory in the $100,000 Maryland Juvenile Championship Tuesday at Laurel.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen