Trinniberg got loose on the lead and never looked back in the $250,000 Bay Shore (gr. III) at Aqueduct Racetrack, going on to a three-length victory over Hardened Wildcat.
At seven furlongs, the $250,000 Bay Shore Stakes (gr. III) is not normally a steppingstone to the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). This year, however, it might be for at least one 3-year-old.
Just as he did when winning the Count Fleet Stakes a month earlier, Alpha easily defeated an overmatched field to take the $200,000 Withers (gr. III) by 3 1/4 lengths Feb. 4 at Aqueduct.
Jason and Tom handicap the Robert B. Lewis and the Withers. Watch Video
Alpha is the heavy favorite for the $200,000 Withers (gr. III), which replaces the Whirlaway Stakes as the first of three New York preps leading up to the Triple Crown. The Feb. 4 race is now at two turns on the inner track.
Repole Stable's 3-year-old How Do I Win, pointing to the $200,000 Withers Stakes (gr. III) at Aqueduct Feb. 4, breezed a half-mile in :49 flat over Belmont Park's training track.
A field of seven sophomores was entered for the $150,000 Count Fleet Stakes Jan. 7 at Aqueduct, the first of a trio of 3-year-old races leading up to the $1 million Wood Memorial (gr. I) on April 7.
With Uncle Mo retired, Stay Thirsty is now the top gun in Mike Repole's stable. And after a championship-caliber 3-year-old season in 2011, there are high expectations for the son of Bernardini next year.
Most Popular Stories
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Uncontested to Skip Rebel Stakes
- Arrogate 'His Usual Self' in Five-Furlong Move
- El Areeb Confirmed to Start in Gotham Stakes
- Mind Your Biscuits Set for Gulfstream Park Sprint
- Mo Town, Guest Suite Set for Risen Star Showdown
- International Star Could Add to Fair Grounds Success
- Grade 1 Haskell Headlines Monmouth Stakes Schedule