Shawn Hurwitz, CEO of Sam Houston Race Park, was killed in a Sunday morning boating accident.
Houston, a high-priced sale yearling who developed into a multiple graded stakes winner, died April 12 from the infirmities of old age at Ren-Mar Thoroughbreds near Temecula, Calif.
Pimlico Race Course held the show to showcase the versatility of Thoroughbreds.
Former Calumet Farm president J.T. Lundy was released Tuesday morning after serving a prison sentence for bank fraud, conspiracy, and bribery convictions.
The Fund for Horses, a Texas-based group dedicated to the protection of the country's equine population, will have an informational table at Lone Star Park on Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships Day, Saturday, Oct. 30, as well as on the previous two days.
Sam Houston Race Park ended its 82-day Thoroughbred meet with an increase in attendance but a decrease in on-track wagering.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Crawdaddy Two-For-Two After NYSS Score
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen