Tattersalls' flagship Houghton Yearling Sale was axed Friday as the Newmarket, England bloodstock auction company announced a resolution of the long-running dispute over sales dates with Irish rival Goffs.
The first session of this year's Tattersalls Houghton Sale -- Europe's leading yearling auction -- delivered record-breaking results in terms of average and median.
Tattersalls' Houghton sale ended its two-day run in England Thursday with small increases in both its average and median, reversing a downward trend that has been seen at other select yearling auctions this year.
A sleek bay daughter of Sadler's Wells shattered the European record for a yearling filly sold at public auction when she brought the top price of 2.1 million guineas (approximately $3,451,350) Wednesday during the opening session of the Tattersalls Houghton sale in England.
Ask just about anybody about the Tattersalls Houghton sale, and they'll tell you that the catalogue for Europe's flagship yearling auction is one of the best in years. But ask them if that will translate into a boost in prices, and they reply, "Probably not."
Tattersalls will make major changes to its aales dates in 2003.
Auction will be conducted in England on Oct. 2 and 3.
Tattersalls' October yearling sale, which will take place this year Oct. 15-19, will be presented under a new format. The Newmarket, England-based auctioneers will alter the format of the sale by offering the stronger lots on the opening two days and continuing to grade the sale until its conclusion.
The 2001 Tattersalls Houghton Yearling Sale in Great Britain got off to a good start Tuesday night when two horses sold for more than a million guineas. Average for the first day was 254,937 guineas ($391,000), up a bit from last year, while the median of 170,000 guineas ($242,000) was up 31% on last year's corresponding session. Overall, 32 lots were sold for 8,158,000 guineas ($12.5 million).
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Plumptre Leaving Godolphin Australia Position
- Portrade Back at Saratoga for A.P. Smithwick
- Spendthrift Australia Schedules Stallion Parades
- Gun Runner Posts Bullet in Breeze for Whitney
- Madam Dancealot Closes From Last to Win San Clemente