U S S Tinosa tuned up for Saturday's Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) with a four-furlong work at Golden Gate Fields Sunday morning. Also working were stablemate Cappuchino, Medaglia d'Oro, Holdthehelm, Jack's Silver, Charioteer, Habibti, and Raven Power. Also, Patrick Valenzuela has been named to ride Mayakovsky in the Santa Anita Derby.
Sunday Break tracked pacesetting favorite Raven Power early on before edging clear of that rival late to win a $54,000 allowance race for 3-year-olds on Friday at Santa Anita.
- By Steve Haskin
Using his vast experience over the field to his advantage, USS Tinosa drew off to a 4 1/2-length victory in Friday's Sham Stakes at Santa Anita. Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, USS Tinosa had already won or placed in six stakes, while most of his opponents were coming out of either maiden or allowance races.
U S S Tinosa tracked in third early on before kicking clear in the stretch to win the restricted Sham Stakes by 4 1/2 lengths at Santa Anita Friday.
Hot Contest and Definite Edge, two likely starters for the Feb. 8 $75,000 Sham Stakes, were out for exercise Friday morning.
As the masses congregate at the start of the Kentucky Derby trail, there will, as usual, be lots of pushing and shoving until late February and early March when the contenders begin to separate themselves from the pack. But disappointment and frustration can be prevelant just getting to the Derby trail, as evidenced by the number of highly promising juveniles who stumbled along the way last week.
Most Popular Stories
- Equine Infections Disease Outbreak Response 101
- Kentucky Horses Lose a Friend in Vet Byars
- Heir Kitty Set for Return in Great Lady M
- Full Field of 14 Contest Wide-Open Modesty
- Hoppertunity Heading Home to California
- Hialeah Sees New Thoroughbred Opportunity
- Princess of Sylmar Seeks Del 'Cap Rebound
- Panel: Change in Culture Needed in Racing
- Sky Lantern Takes Second Crack at Falmouth
- Boisterous Holds Class Edge in Bowling Green