Thoroughbred breeding and racing in Ireland saw mostly positive economic indicators during the 2013 season, according to Horse Racing Ireland.
Track executives will share their perspectives on Thoroughbred racing in North America when they deliver keynote presentations at 61st annual Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing Aug. 11.
Classic winner Camelot and his jockey, Joseph O'Brien, walked away with top honors Dec. 10 when Horse Racing Ireland held its 10th annual awards program at Leopardstown Racecourse.
While most of the key economic indicators within the Irish racing industry fell in 2010, the annual report from Horse Racing Ireland shows favorable trends within racecourse attendance and bloodstock sales.
Horse Racing Ireland has announced a series of budget cuts, including a reduction in purses for 2010 of 10.2%, from 53.1 million euros to 47.7 million euros.
Sea The Stars, whose six group I victories in 2009 dominated European racing, was a unanimous selection as Ireland's Horse of the Year and followed his previous award as Cartier Horse of the Year for all of Europe.
Horse Racing Ireland announced Nov. 20 a series of budgetary measures for 2009, including a reduction in prize money, a freezing of grant aid to organizations supported by HRI, a pay freeze for HRI staff and restrictions on racecourse capital development projects.
Attendance at Irish racecourses reached an all-time record of 1.43 million and the total value of bloodstock sales at public auction grew by 28.7% to €145.6 million in 2005, according to statistics released by Horse Racing Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- Palace Malice Interest Sold, May Race Again
- 'Chrome' Eyes BC Classic, Bayern Has Options
- Breeders' Cup Ticket Sales Begin Online
- Beholder Fires Bullet for Zenyatta Defense
- Guillot, Jerkens Like Chances in Gold Cup
- Shared Belief Works Toward Awesome Again
- Wise Dan Preps for Shadwell Turf Mile
- Believe You Can to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Twirling Candy Colt Leads Tattersalls Sale
- Suffolk Downs Adds Race Day for Tribute