Thoroughbred breeding and racing in Ireland saw mostly positive economic indicators during the 2013 season, according to Horse Racing Ireland.
Track executives will share their perspectives on Thoroughbred racing in North America when they deliver keynote presentations at 61st annual Round Table Conference on Matters Pertaining to Racing Aug. 11.
Classic winner Camelot and his jockey, Joseph O'Brien, walked away with top honors Dec. 10 when Horse Racing Ireland held its 10th annual awards program at Leopardstown Racecourse.
While most of the key economic indicators within the Irish racing industry fell in 2010, the annual report from Horse Racing Ireland shows favorable trends within racecourse attendance and bloodstock sales.
Horse Racing Ireland has announced a series of budget cuts, including a reduction in purses for 2010 of 10.2%, from 53.1 million euros to 47.7 million euros.
Sea The Stars, whose six group I victories in 2009 dominated European racing, was a unanimous selection as Ireland's Horse of the Year and followed his previous award as Cartier Horse of the Year for all of Europe.
Horse Racing Ireland announced Nov. 20 a series of budgetary measures for 2009, including a reduction in prize money, a freezing of grant aid to organizations supported by HRI, a pay freeze for HRI staff and restrictions on racecourse capital development projects.
Attendance at Irish racecourses reached an all-time record of 1.43 million and the total value of bloodstock sales at public auction grew by 28.7% to €145.6 million in 2005, according to statistics released by Horse Racing Ireland.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Works, Set for San Antonio
- California Chrome Picks Up Cal-Bred Awards
- Hoppertunity Confirmed for San Antonio Start
- Take Charge Brandi On Oaks Path, Lukas Says
- Pletcher's Donn Quartet Breezed at Palm Beach
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase