Ten Most Wanted, winner of the 2003 Travers Stakes (gr. I), died Jan. 8 ar British Mist Breeding Station in Panama.
The grade I winner Meteor Storm, knocking on the door against top-caliber stakes company since March, gained his first victory of 2005 while fully extended in Saturday's $200,000 W.L. McKnight Handicap (gr. IIT) on the Calder Race Course turf.
Headed at the quarter pole, favored Stupendous Miss battled back along the inside to post a one-length victory over Humoristic in the $200,000 Mede Cahaba All Along Breeders' Cup (gr. IIIT) at stormy Colonial Downs Saturday.
Although the horse has undergone a stem cell procedure to help heal a ligament tear in his ankle, the connections of Ten Most Wanted said they would rather stand him at stud than attempt a racing comeback.
Godolphin's Sulamani has been nominated to defend his title in the Arlington Million (gr. IT), it was announced today by the Arlington Park racing office. He headlines a group of 97 international runners nominated the signature event of the Chicago racing season. This year's Million will be run Aug. 14.
Bill Creasy is used to producing Triple Crown races for television. Now he's hoping to win one as an owner.
J. Paul Reddam, who had been hoping to get to the Kentucky Derby this year with Logician, has purchased an interest in Illinois Derby winner Ten Most Wanted from Wally Dollase's Horizon Stable.
Favored Ten Most Wanted and jockey Pat Day overcame traffic trouble at the top of the stretch and got to the lead inside the eighth pole, putting away Fund Of Funds to win Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Hawthorne Park.
Hall of Fame jockey Pat Day, third all-time in career victories, will be at Golden Gate Fields Saturday to ride Ten Most Wanted in the $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III).
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Curlin's Approval Stretches Out Handily in Royal Delta