Western Smoke repeated a feat accomplished by his daddy 13 years ago, winning the $150,000 Sapling (gr. III) at Monmouth Sept. 5 for his third consecutive stakes score. Now, if the 2-year-old colt can go on to do what Smoke Glacken did in his sophomore season, he will really be in business.
Put together by Kelly Colliver, the 26-member strong Livin the Dream partnership group owns one horse in training. That horse is Dream Empress, who figures to be a strong contender for Friday's Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).
Kelly Colliver's Dream Express took over at the top of the lane and powered to a dominating 4 1/4-length score in the $500,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. I) Oct. 3 on the Keneland Polytrack. The 2-year-old Bernstein filly earned her first graded stakes win while notching a berth in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) later this month at Santa Anita.
Heavy favorite Vicarino broke the five-furlong track mark at Bay Meadows Feb. 21 even though he spotted his rivals a head start in the $42,400 sprint feature.
Trainer Mark Casse's runners swept the board in the CAN$162,000 Natalma Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-old fillies, with the longest of his three hopes, 17-1 shot Clearly Foxy, driving to victory for jockey Jono Jones on the Woodbine lawn Sept. 9.
The first reported foal sired by American record-equaler Najran is a filly out of the Spend a Buck mare Changing Fortunes.
A young mare in foal to the freshman stallion Officer brought a top price of $340,000 Saturday as Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale passed the halfway point. The sale continued to post a strong showing.
Most Popular Stories
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double
- De La Cruz Soars at Tampa Bay With 4-Bagger
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- City Wolf Joins Roster at Pleasant Acres
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- Free Mammography Screening at Turfway Dec. 27
- Ritvo to Receive Lou Smith Memorial Award
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says