Western Smoke repeated a feat accomplished by his daddy 13 years ago, winning the $150,000 Sapling (gr. III) at Monmouth Sept. 5 for his third consecutive stakes score. Now, if the 2-year-old colt can go on to do what Smoke Glacken did in his sophomore season, he will really be in business.
Put together by Kelly Colliver, the 26-member strong Livin the Dream partnership group owns one horse in training. That horse is Dream Empress, who figures to be a strong contender for Friday's Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I).
Kelly Colliver's Dream Express took over at the top of the lane and powered to a dominating 4 1/4-length score in the $500,000 Darley Alcibiades (gr. I) Oct. 3 on the Keneland Polytrack. The 2-year-old Bernstein filly earned her first graded stakes win while notching a berth in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) later this month at Santa Anita.
Heavy favorite Vicarino broke the five-furlong track mark at Bay Meadows Feb. 21 even though he spotted his rivals a head start in the $42,400 sprint feature.
Trainer Mark Casse's runners swept the board in the CAN$162,000 Natalma Stakes (Can-III) for 2-year-old fillies, with the longest of his three hopes, 17-1 shot Clearly Foxy, driving to victory for jockey Jono Jones on the Woodbine lawn Sept. 9.
The first reported foal sired by American record-equaler Najran is a filly out of the Spend a Buck mare Changing Fortunes.
A young mare in foal to the freshman stallion Officer brought a top price of $340,000 Saturday as Keeneland's November Breeding Stock Sale passed the halfway point. The sale continued to post a strong showing.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Chrome' Tops U.S. Nominees for World Cup
- Final Call for Taylors of Seattle Slew Fame
- Jockey Chapa Faces Felony Race-Fixing Charges
- New Leadership Coming for Illinois Board
- Flashy Performances at OBS Day of Champions
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for Jan. 27, 2015
- First Foal Reported for Fort Larned
- Nerud Homebred Colt Wins at Big A
- Trickmeister to Tomorrow Bloodstock in NY
- Washington Owner/Breeder Paxton Dead at 76