Any questions about Wildcat Red's future that may have been raised by his troubled 18th in the Kentucky Derby were emphatically dismissed June 28 at Gulfstream when he rolled to victory by 10 1/4 lengths in the Quality Road.
Something deserved by Garoffalo's family is the chance at watching a Derby run in person. But after decades spent in the industry in Venezuela, Jose Garoffalo Sr. will watch from home while his son chases history.
Though relatively early on the Derby trail, it's unlikely there will be another two-way duel as good as the one in the Besilu Stables Fountain of Youth (gr. II), won by Wildcat Red over General a Rod Feb. 22 at Gulfstream.
This year, Venezuelan-born trainer Jose Garoffalo and owner Salvatore Delfino have ventured into exciting new territory--the Triple Crown trail with Fountain of Youth (gr. II) contender Wildcat Red.
Most Popular Stories
- Filly by The Factor Tops OBS Winter Opener
- Kaigun Makes 2015 Debut in Arcadia Stakes
- Fillies Vie for Grade I Glory in Las Virgenes
- Kentucky Approves Racing License for Blasi
- The Horse Who Changed the Triple Crown
- Secret Circle Part of Salty Palos Verdes Cast
- Invasor to Uruguay's Haras Cuatro Piedras
- Knee Chip Sidelines Hutcheson Winner Barbados
- Ocean Knight, Catalina Red Top Sam F. Davis
- Testa Rossi Makes Endeavour Return for Brown