Any questions about Wildcat Red's future that may have been raised by his troubled 18th in the Kentucky Derby were emphatically dismissed June 28 at Gulfstream when he rolled to victory by 10 1/4 lengths in the Quality Road.
Something deserved by Garoffalo's family is the chance at watching a Derby run in person. But after decades spent in the industry in Venezuela, Jose Garoffalo Sr. will watch from home while his son chases history.
Though relatively early on the Derby trail, it's unlikely there will be another two-way duel as good as the one in the Besilu Stables Fountain of Youth (gr. II), won by Wildcat Red over General a Rod Feb. 22 at Gulfstream.
This year, Venezuelan-born trainer Jose Garoffalo and owner Salvatore Delfino have ventured into exciting new territory--the Triple Crown trail with Fountain of Youth (gr. II) contender Wildcat Red.
Most Popular Stories
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test