Any questions about Wildcat Red's future that may have been raised by his troubled 18th in the Kentucky Derby were emphatically dismissed June 28 at Gulfstream when he rolled to victory by 10 1/4 lengths in the Quality Road.
Something deserved by Garoffalo's family is the chance at watching a Derby run in person. But after decades spent in the industry in Venezuela, Jose Garoffalo Sr. will watch from home while his son chases history.
Though relatively early on the Derby trail, it's unlikely there will be another two-way duel as good as the one in the Besilu Stables Fountain of Youth (gr. II), won by Wildcat Red over General a Rod Feb. 22 at Gulfstream.
This year, Venezuelan-born trainer Jose Garoffalo and owner Salvatore Delfino have ventured into exciting new territory--the Triple Crown trail with Fountain of Youth (gr. II) contender Wildcat Red.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Scratched from F-T November Sale
- Lexie Lou Shows Old Spark in Autumn Miss Win
- California Chrome Digs In for Final BC Breeze
- Pick of the Litter Shows Best in Fayette Win
- Northlands Park Meet Ends With Handle Gains
- Chrome Facing Retirement With Poor BC Effort
- Breeders' Cup Modifies Convicted Trainer Rule
- Salutos Amigos Best in 'Ruler, Eyes BC Sprint
- Keeneland Posts Dips in Attendance, Handle
- Romans: Prayer for Relief's Work 'Super'