Barry Irwin had faith in the horse he bred and is being rewarded with a chance to participate in the first leg of the Triple Crown.
The 18-year-old mare, honored as champion 3-year-old filly in 1995, will be bred to Unbridled's Song.
Calling it a bargain, Wyoming horse owner William J. Sims went to $450,000 to acquire a colt by Storm Cat to highlight the early portion of the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 14.
"I've never seen anything like this," said Holly Bandoroff of Denali Stud of a bizarre incident that involved a well-bred dark bay or brown filly, a bald man in a plaid shirt, at least three Fasig-Tipton officials, and several policemen during the second and final session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select yearling sale in New York Aug. 11.
What will the yearling selling season of 2009 be like? A story with comments from a variety of auction participants appeared in the June 27 edition of The Blood-Horse and also was published on the magazine's Web site: www.bloodhorse.com. Now, two more people, Lincoln Collins and Craig Bandoroff, weigh in on the subject.
South African champion Ipi Tombe will be offered by Craig and Holly Bandoroff's Denali Stud, as agent, at this year's Tattersalls December sales in England.
A weanling full sister to 2000 Horse of the Year and two-time Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Tiznow sold for $950,000 early during Saturday's session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- A Derby Rookie's First Churchill Morning
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up