With their purses enhanced to $250,000 apiece, two stakes races for juveniles take center stage at this year's 23rd California Cup, to be run Oct. 13 at Santa Anita Park.
Beginning with the scratch of champion Acclamation, the Inglewood Handicap (gr. IIIT) went perfectly for Utopian, who got up in the final couple of strides to win by a head April 27 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
The return of Acclamation, the champion older male of 2011, highlights the first Friday night program of the Betfair Hollywood Park spring/summer season April 27.
Willa B Awesome hit the front early and was never headed as she snuck away to an 11-1 upset in the $100,000 Santa Ysabel Stakes (gr. III) at Santa Anita Jan. 28.
Caracortado, a stunning come-from-behind winner of the Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIt) on Santa Anita's hillside earlier this month, heads the field for the $100,000 Sensational Star Stakes over the same course Jan. 28.
Favored Norvsky, ridden by a red-hot Rafael Bejarano, flew home in the final 100 yards to nab pacesetter Lucky Primo just before the wire to win the $175,000 California Cup Classic at Santa Anita Park Oct. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Rosario Rides General a Rod in Florida Derby
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Woodbine Announces 2014 Stakes Schedule
- Game On Dude Heads World's Best Racehorses
- Effort to Resolve Virginia Dates Fails Again
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- Jockey Von Rosen Suffers Serious Injury