Thoroughbred racing returns to Northern Kentucky Nov. 29 with the opening of Turfway Park's 37th holiday meet, including stakes races throughout December.
Turfway Park ended its 2011 holiday meet with increases in both on-track and all-sources handle compared to the same period in 2010.
On-track handle decreased during Turfway Park's 2009 holiday meet when compared to the same meet in 2008, but all-sources handle held steady thanks to an uptick in wagers made out of state.
Turfway Park will feature five stakes during its holiday meet, which runs from Nov. 29 through Dec. 31.
Turfway Park's Holiday Meet total average daily handle decreased 1.3% in 2002 from 2001 numbers, averaging $3,595,362.
A full field of 12 is scheduled to compete in Saturday's Holiday Inaugural Stakes, the first stakes event of the "winter" season in Kentucky. Turfway kicked off its Holiday Meet Nov. 25, and will race straight through to early April.
Most Popular Stories
- Palace Malice Interest Sold, May Race Again
- Guillot, Jerkens Like Chances in Gold Cup
- Shared Belief Works Toward Awesome Again
- Wise Dan Preps for Shadwell Turf Mile
- Twirling Candy Colt Leads Tattersalls Sale
- Believe You Can to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Suffolk Downs Adds Race Day for Tribute
- The Week in Photos for 9/23/2014
- Fasig-Tipton Catalogs 1,236 for October Sale
- Ruidoso Unveils Integrity and Safety Program