Thoroughbred racing returns to Northern Kentucky Nov. 29 with the opening of Turfway Park's 37th holiday meet, including stakes races throughout December.
Turfway Park ended its 2011 holiday meet with increases in both on-track and all-sources handle compared to the same period in 2010.
On-track handle decreased during Turfway Park's 2009 holiday meet when compared to the same meet in 2008, but all-sources handle held steady thanks to an uptick in wagers made out of state.
Turfway Park will feature five stakes during its holiday meet, which runs from Nov. 29 through Dec. 31.
Turfway Park's Holiday Meet total average daily handle decreased 1.3% in 2002 from 2001 numbers, averaging $3,595,362.
A full field of 12 is scheduled to compete in Saturday's Holiday Inaugural Stakes, the first stakes event of the "winter" season in Kentucky. Turfway kicked off its Holiday Meet Nov. 25, and will race straight through to early April.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby