Youbet.com, which recently topped the $1-billion mark in handle, announced Feb. 8 it has a letter of intent to acquire International Racing Group, the Curacao-based account wagering company named but not charged in an 88-count federal indictment that alleged illegal gambling.
As the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Wagering Systems Task Force prepares to hear recommendations on ways to address the "handle up, purses down" situation, operators of high-volume betting shops believe they might be a target and suggest that, as generators of up to 15% of annual handle in North America, they should be directly involved in the process.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- The Week in Photos for 7/29/2014
- WGOH: Patience Is Shah's Virtue
- Prominent Sire Beau Genius Dies at 29
- RCI to Consider Horses-in-Training Rules
- Bayern Wires Haskell; Favored Untapable 5th
- Grade II Winners to Battle in WV Derby
- 'The Chief' in Florida Rather Than Saratoga
- Travers or Pennsylvania Derby Next for Bayern
- Wilkins to Direct Calumet Stallion Division