Youbet.com, which recently topped the $1-billion mark in handle, announced Feb. 8 it has a letter of intent to acquire International Racing Group, the Curacao-based account wagering company named but not charged in an 88-count federal indictment that alleged illegal gambling.
As the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Wagering Systems Task Force prepares to hear recommendations on ways to address the "handle up, purses down" situation, operators of high-volume betting shops believe they might be a target and suggest that, as generators of up to 15% of annual handle in North America, they should be directly involved in the process.
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Dandy: Texas Red Denies Frosted
- Beholder All Class in Easy Hirsch Score
- American Pharoah Wraps Up Haskell Preparation
- Madefromlucky Gets Job Done in WV Derby
- Rock Fall Edges The Big Beast in Vanderbilt
- Rare Upset for Jockey Parker at Mountaineer
- Red Rifle Blasts Through in Bowling Green
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- Gabriel Charles Set for Arlington Million
- After Anxious Moment, American Pharoah Cool