Youbet.com, which recently topped the $1-billion mark in handle, announced Feb. 8 it has a letter of intent to acquire International Racing Group, the Curacao-based account wagering company named but not charged in an 88-count federal indictment that alleged illegal gambling.
As the National Thoroughbred Racing Association Wagering Systems Task Force prepares to hear recommendations on ways to address the "handle up, purses down" situation, operators of high-volume betting shops believe they might be a target and suggest that, as generators of up to 15% of annual handle in North America, they should be directly involved in the process.
Most Popular Stories
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- That Handicapping Show: Pennsylvania Derby
- Divine Oath Needs Kent to Get Back on Track
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- Study Compares Abdominal Bandage Pressure, Support