Top Irish trainer Aidan O'Brien gave the media more time than usual Thursday morning at Arlington, talking for nearly 20 minutes outside the quarantine barn. O'Brien will saddle seven horses Saturday in the Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships.
A powerful team of eight horses from Aidan O'Brien's Ballydoyle Stables left Ireland on Tuesday for the Breeders' Cup and were expected to touch down in Chicago at 4:15 p.m. (Central time).
Trainer Aidan O'Brien said on an international teleconference Thursday there is a chance both Rock of Gibraltar and Hawk Wing will run in the $4 million Breeders' Cup Classic.
Trainer Aidan O'Brien has pre-entered 10 runners, including his Ballydoyle big three of Rock Of Gibraltar, High Chaparral and Hawk Wing, to the Oct. 26 World Thoroughbred Championships, ensuring strong representation for European runners at Arlington Park.
When they go to the post for the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), the likely favorite will be Sky Mesa.
Godolphin's Marienbard, with Frankie Dettori riding, came off the rail in the straight to win the 81st running of the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp by less than a length over French Derby champion Sulamini.
As a virus runs through Aidan O'Brien's yard, he still manages to win the Phoenix Stakes for the fifth straight year.
Aidan O'Brien saddles first three and Sadler's Wells sires the first four as High Chaparral becomes 15th Epsom/Irish Derby winner.
Hold That Tiger, a half-brother to Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Editor's Note, won Sunday's Anheuser Busch Railway Stakes (Ire-III) at The Curragh.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland September Sale Sees More Gains
- Is PA Derby Best Spot for 'Chrome'?
- No Dice for Massachusetts Racing, Breeding
- California Chrome Arrives at Parx Racing
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- What's Going On Here: Solid at the Core
- Suffolk Downs Loses Casino Bid on 3-1 Vote
- Injury Forces Sea The Moon's Retirement
- Is California Chrome Vulnerable in PA Derby?
- 'Gold Hopes to Keep Churchill Record Intact