Violon Sacre overcame some traffic issues to register his second win in four North American starts this year, capturing the $250,000 PTHA President's Cup at Parx Racing at Philadelphia Park Sept. 18.
Trainer Neil Howard didn't mind an early-morning sprinkle Saturday, as long as the $150,000 Bayou Breeders' Cup Handicap remained on the Stall-Wilson turf course at Fair Grounds.
The $150,000 Bayou Breeders' Cup Handicap at Fair Grounds, which drew multiple graded stakes winner Snow Dance, could use a break from Mother Nature. The last two years, the richest turf race for older fillies and mares at the meet has been transferred to the main track due to wet weather.
Histoire Sainte's love affair with the Fair Grounds turf course continued on Friday as she cruised home to win the $75,000 Furl Sail Handicap by 1 ½ lengths over Quick Tip.
Tranquility Lake made her return to turf a winning one with a one-length victory in Saturday's $150,000 Palomar Handicap (gr. IIT). The 6-year-old daughter of Rahy completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:41.94 on firm turf in winning the race for the second straight year.
On Saturday at Churchill Downs, Beverly R. Steinman's homebred Colstar won the $172,800 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) for the second consecutive year.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Chilean-bred mare Miss of Wales will attempt to earn her first North American stakes win in the $150,000 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Churchill Downs. Also entered in the 1 1/8-mile turf race for fillies and mares 3-years-old and up are Ballston Spa Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner License Fee, Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Gino's Spirits, and multiple stakes winners Illiquidity, White Beauty, and Lady Tamworth.
Colstar won her fourth consecutive race for trainer Paul Fout Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Willy North Returns to Sales Scene at Fasig-Tipton
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Canadian Racing Channel HPItv to Remain on the Air
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager