Derby Kitten, under jockey Mike Smith, came from off the pace to nab Hippolytus by a half-length in the $154,029 Ontario Derby Sept. 24 at Woodbine.
It was jockey Luis Contreras' day at Woodbine when favored Pender Harbour got up by a nose to win the $512,764 Breeders' Stakes Aug. 7, making the rider the first to win the Canadian Triple Crown on more than one horse.
Luis Contreras will attempt to become the first jockey to win all three jewels of Canada's Triple Crown with different horses when he rides Pender Harbour in the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes on the Woodbine turf Aug. 7.
Queen's Plate runner-up Hippolytus, 61-1 in Canada's opening jewel of the Triple Crown, heads a field of seven Ontario-bred colts and geldings in the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes at Fort Erie July 17.
Inglorious became the first filly to win the $1 million Queen's Plate since 2001 with a spectacular performance for jockey Luis Contreras, sweeping past her rivals impressively for a 2 1/2-length victory June 26.
Seventeen go to the post in the Queen's Plate on June 26. Are you up to the challenge of predicting the order of finish? Predict the Order
Most Popular Stories
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile