Derby Kitten, under jockey Mike Smith, came from off the pace to nab Hippolytus by a half-length in the $154,029 Ontario Derby Sept. 24 at Woodbine.
It was jockey Luis Contreras' day at Woodbine when favored Pender Harbour got up by a nose to win the $512,764 Breeders' Stakes Aug. 7, making the rider the first to win the Canadian Triple Crown on more than one horse.
Luis Contreras will attempt to become the first jockey to win all three jewels of Canada's Triple Crown with different horses when he rides Pender Harbour in the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes on the Woodbine turf Aug. 7.
Queen's Plate runner-up Hippolytus, 61-1 in Canada's opening jewel of the Triple Crown, heads a field of seven Ontario-bred colts and geldings in the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes at Fort Erie July 17.
Inglorious became the first filly to win the $1 million Queen's Plate since 2001 with a spectacular performance for jockey Luis Contreras, sweeping past her rivals impressively for a 2 1/2-length victory June 26.
Seventeen go to the post in the Queen's Plate on June 26. Are you up to the challenge of predicting the order of finish? Predict the Order
Most Popular Stories
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen