High Resolve will be back to defend her title in the $200,000 Sunshine Millions Filly & Mare Sprint at Santa Anita Jan. 30.
Sweet August Moon took advantage of a hot pace to run down the odds-on pacesetter High Resolve, scoring her first graded stakes win in the $100,000 Las Flores Handicap (gr. III) on April 5 at Santa Anita.
The first four finishers in last month's Honest Lady Stakes will all have the unenviable task of trying to catch the speedy filly High Resolve in the $100,000 Las Flores Handicap (gr. III) at Santa Anita April 5.
High Resolve opened up an early lead and never looked back, going wire-to-wire for a 2 1/4-length victory in the $300,000 Hill 'n' Dale Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Sprint Jan. 24 at Gulfstream Park.
MAHUBAH'S CORNER Hope springs eternal in the Thoroughbred world. Just consider octogenarian Harry Aleo, whose brilliant Lost in the Fog tragically succumbed to cancer last year. This year, his Smokey Stover developed into a contender in the sprint division but struggled with the off going and a less than ideal trip in the TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I), finishing ninth of 10. Smokey Stover will be back next year, however, and is half of a twosome that could make the spring an exciting time for Aleo. High Resolve is the other runner generating high hopes.
In other stakes action, the $200,000 Carl G. Rose Handicap was won by 4-year-old gelding Electrify, who saved ground along the fence and then sped to the lead in mid-stretch under Elvis Trujillo to score by two lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Fair Grounds in the Spotlight
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut