Tommy Danzigger, ridden by Pedro Alvarado, won the $300,000 Canadian Derby (Can-III) Aug. 22 in an 8-1 surprise at Northlands Park in Edmonton, Alberta.
Despite surrounding property being ravaged by wildfires that have spread throughout Southern California, it was business as usual Monday, Oct. 22, at the Mabee family's Golden Eagle Farm in Ramona, near San Diego.
California-based stallions Souvenir Copy and High Demand have been sold to Nizar Anwar Abul Jadayel of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Souvenir Copy will be shipped later this year to stand in Saudi Arabia, while plans for High Demand, who could remain in the United States, have not yet been finalized.
Symphonic Movement, a colt from the first crop of High Demand, lived up to his sire's name and was so in demand with buyers that he topped the California October yearling sale Tuesday at Barretts. The muscular bay brought $290,000.
High Demand, a California-bred son of Danzig and a winner of five of six starts, has been retired and will stand the 2003 breeding season at Betty Mabee's Golden Eagle Farm near Ramona, Calif.
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit