Japan's champion sprinter Lord Kanaloa ended his illustrious career on a high note after being voted the Japan Racing Association's 2013 Horse of the Year.
Yutaka Take became Japan's first jockey to win 100 grade or group I races when he guided Tosen Ra to victory in the Mile Championship (Jpn-I) Nov. 17 at Kyoto.
Rising star Roman Legend puts a six-race win streak on the line in the Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) Dec. 2 at Hanshin Racecourse while facing two previous winners of the race in his group I debut.
Former Japanese classic winner Eishin Flash halted a lengthy winless skid on Oct. 28 when he defeated favorite Fenomeno in a thrilling finish to the $3,437,000 Tenno Sho (Autumn) (Jpn-I) at Tokyo Racecourse.
Eishin Flash stormed from mid-pack to upset the field in the $3.5 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, before a crowd of 125,746 at Tokyo Racecourse May 30.
The torch was passed from dirt champions Kane Hekili and Vermilion when Success Brocken edged Casino Drive by a neck in record time while winning the $2.2 million February Stakes (Jpn-I) before 70,000 at Tokyo Race Course Feb. 22.
Asian Winds, making her group I debut, drew away from the challenger Vodka in the closing strides to win the US$1,675,000 Victoria Mile for fillies and mares before 60,038 at Tokyo Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Solid in Final Pre-Derby Work
- Tencendur Beats the Rain in Morning Work
- Firing Line Stretches Legs in Derby Breeze
- Keen Ice Warms Up for Derby With Workout
- KY Derby: Jerry Crawford on Keen Ice, Puca
- Birdatthewire Delivers Smooth Churchill Move
- NTRA Has Net Gain for Third Consecutive Year
- Jazdzewski Landed Young Far Right for $2,500
- Kentucky Derby: Trainer Weaver on Tencendur
- Madefromlucky Officially Out of KY Derby