Japan's champion sprinter Lord Kanaloa ended his illustrious career on a high note after being voted the Japan Racing Association's 2013 Horse of the Year.
Yutaka Take became Japan's first jockey to win 100 grade or group I races when he guided Tosen Ra to victory in the Mile Championship (Jpn-I) Nov. 17 at Kyoto.
Rising star Roman Legend puts a six-race win streak on the line in the Japan Cup Dirt (Jpn-I) Dec. 2 at Hanshin Racecourse while facing two previous winners of the race in his group I debut.
Former Japanese classic winner Eishin Flash halted a lengthy winless skid on Oct. 28 when he defeated favorite Fenomeno in a thrilling finish to the $3,437,000 Tenno Sho (Autumn) (Jpn-I) at Tokyo Racecourse.
Eishin Flash stormed from mid-pack to upset the field in the $3.5 million Tokyo Yushun (Jpn-I), or Japanese Derby, before a crowd of 125,746 at Tokyo Racecourse May 30.
The torch was passed from dirt champions Kane Hekili and Vermilion when Success Brocken edged Casino Drive by a neck in record time while winning the $2.2 million February Stakes (Jpn-I) before 70,000 at Tokyo Race Course Feb. 22.
Asian Winds, making her group I debut, drew away from the challenger Vodka in the closing strides to win the US$1,675,000 Victoria Mile for fillies and mares before 60,038 at Tokyo Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Filly by The Factor Tops OBS Winter Opener
- Kaigun Makes 2015 Debut in Arcadia Stakes
- The Horse Who Changed the Triple Crown
- Fillies Vie for Grade I Glory in Las Virgenes
- Kentucky Approves Racing License for Blasi
- Secret Circle Part of Salty Palos Verdes Cast
- Knee Chip Sidelines Hutcheson Winner Barbados
- Testa Rossi Makes Endeavour Return for Brown
- Invasor to Uruguay's Haras Cuatro Piedras
- Ocean Knight, Catalina Red Top Sam F. Davis