Stakes winner Hi Teck Man's first winner, Lady Hi Teck, won June 29 at Lone Star Park in her initial start.
Hassel R. Spraberry, who bred and owned 2004 WinStar Derby winner Hi Teck Man, died Feb. 21 at the age of 74.
Sunland Park closed out its 2003-2004 season April 11 on a high note, with across the board increases, including establishing a new record for total amount handled in one day ($2,194,229) on Feb. 3. The track also established a record of 21 days where more than $1 million was handled.
Texas bred Hi Teck Man emerged with the lead in mid-stretch and held favored Consecrate at bay to register a stunning 46-1 upset by a half-length in Sunday's $500,000 WinStar Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park in New Mexico.
By Dick Downey -- The $500,000 WinStar Derby sees the sponsor's own VICTORY LIGHT shipping in from Payson Park in Florida, and Pat Day comes along for the ride.
Maiden Go Kitty Go stormed past weakening 11-10 favorite Rocky Gulch to post a major surprise in Sunday's $105,450 Borderland Derby for 3-year-olds at Sunland Park.
An impressive maiden winner at Fair Grounds in Louisiana will take on seasoned New Mexico-based stakes winners in the $100,000 Borderland Derby Feb. 29 at Sunland Park.
This is the seventh in a series of early looks at next year's potential Derby horses. Times are changing, and big-name trainers are looking for Derby horses wherever they can find them. Despite his usual abundance of promising colts, Bob Baffert already has added two new horses.
Graded stakes winner Claudius was represented by his first winner when his son Hi Teck Man won June 21
Texas stallion Claudius scored his first winner from his first starter when Hi Teck Man posted his first win in his second career start in a 4 1/2 furlong maiden special weight contest on June 21 at Ruidoso Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Classic Empire On Track for Holy Bull
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Pegasus Workers Drill Across Florida
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Louisiana Derby Season Begins
- Chrome and Arrogate: Who to Root For?
- For January Race, Pegasus Field Depth Impressive
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year